Age gaps between children

Just after some advice/opinions on age gaps between your children and their relationships with each other. DD is now 1 and i would love to give her a sibling close in age but it would be more practical for us to wait a bit longer. TIA :)

26/11/2009
Jacob's n Jelly Baby's Mummy

Replies to this discussion

Seleziona in base a i più recenti

I have three boys, 17 mnths, 4 1/2 yrs and nearly 8 yrs so a bit over three years gap each time. It's worked well for us and meant that I've been able to focus time and energy on each in turn as a baby and young child as the older ones have been involved in kindy or school. They generally get on well but like all kids they have their moments. The eldest dotes on the youngest, the middle boy thinks he's special as he's a big bro and a little bro, and the baby thinks the sun rises and sets with the big boys. There are never any guarantees about whether siblings will get on no matter what the age gap. I'm the eldest of 10 and probably closest to the sister who is 15 yrs my junior. I think parents have an important role to play in teaching their children to respect and care for their siblings, and creating a family bond that will last into adulthood. Good luck whenever you decide to TTC

26/11/2009
Helen+2DS's

Hi there - I have an almost 5 year old, a 3 1/2 year old, an 18 month old and another one on the way. So the gaps are 18 months, 21 months, and this time 25 months. Each time was a bit of pot luck conceiving as I was still feeding and didn't have my AF (great in that respect - haven't had it in almost 6 years LOL!) We were VERY lucky that we were able to conceive at about the times we tried.

It such a personal decision, however DH and I wanted to have ours close together and we hope they will be always be good mates (no guarantees in life though I know).  It does get crazy at times, especially when we had three under 3 1/2, however it's wonderful and I wouldn't have it any other way for our family (though I wouldn't mind a tidier house some days lol).

As others have said though. it's such a personal decision and it depends on so many factors, inclusing if you and your DH are ready etc etc. What works for one family won't for another and we all make the decisions that are best to us at the time.  I wish you all the best in making your decision. :)

26/11/2009
Kierakat

Speaking about myself and not my kids, my brother and I are 5 years apart... not by choice but because my mother had trouble getting pregnant again (I am the youngest). We never got on in any sense of the word and our relationship is very fragile as adults. Although we do try there has never been a closeness between us apart from the fact that we are related. It is quite sad for us and our parents, so absolutely make it as soon as you feel ready.
Lots of luck to you.

26/11/2009
alora

Hi all my oldest is 14 then  a 12 and a half yr old, next one 10 in jan, then 4 1/2 yr old  then a 19 month old and one on the way.  they are all  growing up too fast but age gap wise it works, yep they fight but just go with the flow.

26/11/2009
KiwiFruit

i don't ave anything to compare with but my younger two are 14 months apart almost 3 and my baby will be 2 in feb it was hard in the beginning but now they are older they are such great mates and play with each other of course they fight too. but all in all now i would never change the age gap it suits us fine!

26/11/2009
ClaireBear80

I think you need to consider the next when you are ready first, and worry about them getting on with each other after that. We're planning #2 to suit us, not them, because it could turn out that they're a year apart and fight like crazy anyway, and then we'd all be regretting the age gap decision.

26/11/2009
Azure's Mum

I've got 1mth short of 4yrs between the 2 girls and then a gap of 2 1/1yrs between #2 and #3. 

I preferred the 1st gap as I had the break with kindy and could have some me time.

26/11/2009
Catfish

my two oldest girls (15 & 13 yrs old) and my 2 youngest boys ( 2.5 yrs & 9 weeks) have around18 months  -2 yrs  between them.  When my 2 oldest girls were younger they played really well together and to this day are really close.

There is 15 years between my oldest DD and my youngest DS

26/11/2009
Home Grown

my two oldest girls (15 & 13 yrs old) and my 2 youngest boys ( 2.5 yrs & 9 weeks) have around18 months  -2 yrs  between them.  When my 2 oldest girls were younger they played really well together and to this day are really close.

There is 15 years between my oldest DD and my youngest DS

26/11/2009
Mel

Besides needed time for first relationship recovery before i wearily took anyone on a whim, so second partner looks hopefully to be MR RIGHT.....

26/11/2009
Mel

First relationship down the tube, second partner has a son one yr younger then my own which is a bonus, however second brother due in a few months for my son is a 8 yr age gap..so big gap their...none other the less took a long time, to get accepted by another..and thankfully enough the opposition fell for me!

26/11/2009
caseys mum

withmy 4 I have 5 years between the first 2 then 4.5 then 2.2 and I actually preferred the 2.2 age gap esp now that they are older as the older 2 just don't get on a fight all the time whereas the younger 2 get on much better so far.

My oldest is 14 next month and then the next is 9 in Dec the the next is 5 next year and then my youngest is 2 next month.

26/11/2009
surfergirl
An error occured, please try again later.