Brushing teeth - making it less of a battle

DS (19 mths) hates having his back teeth brushed. He enjoys having the front ones done but clamps his wee jaw shut when I try to get to the back ones . . . you know the ones that get the most fillings later on, lol.   He isn't currently cutting molars so I doubt it hurts, he just doesn't like it. There is squirming, grizzling (the type with the mouth closed so I can't even take advantage & nip in there) & general bad behaviour.   He used to endure it for longer if I let him brush my teeth at the same time but that doesn't work any more.   Any ideas?

26/11/2009
LittleMiss

Replies to this discussion

Seleziona in base a i più recenti

Thanks - so far the "teeth tickling" is working best. Especially if I let him tickle my teeth at the same time.

26/11/2009
Mrs Goat

Oh yes they can be little monkeies at teeth brushing time can't they?  I found lets look at all of the bubbles Im making in the mirror worked for us, for a while at  least.  The other thing thatn helps is letting them brush first and then you doing it

26/11/2009
caleb+ellas mum

Hmm don't ya just hate the whole toddlers/teeth brushing!!! i've found it sometimes helps to sing a song hehe I usually sing a bit of "this is the way we brush our teeth..brush our teeth..early in the morning" mixed in with a bit of "Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah" (hope someone knows what i'm talking about with that last bit lol, its part of another song), Thankfully i'm usually home by myself when all this riduculous singing is going on because i sound like a right d*ck lol  ;)

26/11/2009
RaymondsMum

try it in front of the mirror with you doing yours too.

26/11/2009
Mrs Goat

We've been through stages like this with our DD who's 20mths.  We have recently started calling tooth brushing 'teeth tickling' and made it a game and now she's opening up wide like I show her and we say things like 'I'm going to tickle your teeth' and she laughs and enjoys it.  You could try getting your DS to think it's a game and not a chore.

When she's teething really bad and just wants to bite the brush we give her a chewable tooth brush we ordered from the UK that actually cleans the teeth while they bite on it.  http://www.brushbaby.co.uk/

26/11/2009
RaymondsMum
An error occured, please try again later.