AHHH help, my 2 1/2 yr old is really sick

Mia came down with vommiting and a small amound of the runs this morning, she hasn't kept any thing down all day!! Liquids included. What I want to know is, what are the signs that they are too dehydrated? She is soo lethargic, and almost unresponsive. I just don't know what to do... 

26/11/2009
Tyler and Levi's Mum

Replies to this discussion

Seleziona in base a i più recenti

Well I had her up at A&E last night, all expecting to take her to Rotorua. The Dr rang the pead's but they said give her a antinausea pill, and see if she will keep fluids down by giving her very small ammounts at a time - 2 1/2 mls. Which she did, and we came home again.
Man she has only been awake for about an hour since 9pm last night, now midday, she got up before I could see a huge improvement in her, so thought I would try her on a small milo, but 2 minutes latter she bought it all up including what I had managed to get into her this morning. 

26/11/2009
Douglas123

The lethargy's probably caused by dyhydration if she has the runs - try giving her 10 teaspoons of water every hour on the hour when she's awake, with sips from a cup in between. My 2-1/2 year old had confirmed Rotavirus for 6 days, while it passed through her older sister in just two days.  It's so hard to watch them like that but water's the most important thing and suddenly they come right. I also gave her rehydration popsicles to suck on, from the chemist.

26/11/2009
Mrs Goat

Important thing is to just keep offering her fluids even when they just keep coming back up. Definitely take her to the Doctors. It doesn't matter how often you've been recently, kids get sick a lot so Drs expect that.
I swear by probiotics. The Inner Health Plus powder is absolutely brilliant. Add it to the liquids you are giving her and I'm sure it will help. While she's still vomiting give it to her a few times a day. Give it to her for about a week after she seems better too. Good idea for the whole family to get onto them now to avoid getting whatever it is that she has.

26/11/2009
Jess and Em

my daughter is the same age and she was like this for 2-3 days. it was awful. she was so lethargic and wouldnt sleep at all unless it was on me. she wasnt eating and barely drinking anything coz she just bought everything up. had a temp of about 39.8. during this time. i took her to dr and they told me it was a virus and there was nothing they could do. so just had to wait it out. eventually she came right but it was really stressful. going to the a+e is a good idea.

26/11/2009
jakesmum6

Thanks ladies, I've just had them both at the Dr's soo much in the last couple of months. She isn't in nappies, and I think has maybe gone twice to the toilet today. I'm going to wait till DH is home from work then take her to A&E.

26/11/2009
Douglas123

Hinestly, get to the doctors as soon as possible. Lethary and unresponsiveness is a bit worrying (it may be nothing, but better safe than sorry). Good luck! 

26/11/2009
Mel

though just ready the last bit if shes getting unresponsive i would get her to the dr- best to get her checked out

26/11/2009
gimbo
An error occured, please try again later.