anyone else have a baby that only sleeps 45 minutes at a time?

Hi, seems I am always asking questions on treasures, but I get so many helpful replys! My 2 and a half month old has suddenly decided he only wants to sleep for 45minutes.  He will have two 45 minute sleeps in the morning, and 2 in the afternoon, maybe 1 in the early evening if I am lucky.  It doesn't seem to matter what we do, after 45 minutes he wants up!  We have tried the dummy, rocking his cot, white noise, letting him cry for a bit.  this is just his sleep pattern, but he used to go backto sleep with a little reasurance from us. He has started sleeping  well at night, around 7 - 7 and a half hours.  He goes down at 8.30 and wakes at 3.30ish and then again at 6.30 7am. Maybe this has something to do with it? He is breastfeed and I am considering topping him up with a little formula to see if that helps.  Then again I wouldn't be so worried if the plunket nurse wasn't.  Should I quit stressing and just go with the flow or does he really need more?

26/11/2009
Spuds Mum

Replies to this discussion

Seleziona in base a i più recenti

Test

07/05/2014
tester6
tester6

Test

07/05/2014
tester6
tester6

Yes, and my baby had reflux, once we sorted the reflux she slept longer.

26/11/2009
TuiBird

My 5 month sleeps only for 45 minutes through the day too has been like this since 3 months when he started sleeping from 8.30pm til 6.30am so I dont mind the wee naps in the day if I am getting these long stretches at night.  He did start to wake in the night two weeks ago and I decided with the advice from plunket nurse to start one feed of solids a day and since has started sleeping through again.  I would try and persevere without the formula because it is just for a short time really and they are all different and at the age your baby is at he can change his patterns from one week to the next and my baby dropped his middle of the night feed around three months so your wee man may do the same, fingers crossed.

26/11/2009
Smylee

And re the formula - it might work and it might not. if it works then great but just be aware that topping up can reduce your supply. Have you considered another growth spurt and perhaps letting bubs having access to the boob during this stage to build your supply.

26/11/2009
LittleMiss

45 is a baby's normal sleep cycle. So a baby who sleeps longer is usually sleeping through 2 sleep cycles. This means the baby is good at self settling as they will reach the shallower sleep and then drift back to deeper sleep or even wake a little bit but go back to sleep immediately. If you baby is only sleeping for 45 minutes it's because they reach the shallower sleep cycle and wake themsleves up. At the end of the day this is only a problem if baby seems grouchy and tired even after a nap. If bubs is happy don't worry about it. If they are a grumper then you may want to work at teaching baby to self settle. The 'No cry sleep solution is a great book that provides heaps of info on this'

26/11/2009
JennLC

also I don't think using formula will help, in our case it didn't make any difference to sleeps, so DD is exclusively BF and she is a good sleeper like I said, she also has 1 night time feeding.

26/11/2009
cathy

I think it's just a stage, my DD now 4 months had a period of only having 3x45 min naps a day but now has 2x2 hour sleeps and a 45 min nap late afternoon everyday and pretty consistently. I would keep being consistent in your approach to her sleeps, what helped us was using a sleeping bag instead of wrapping, DD would constantly escape from her wrap and then not resettle, once we stopped this and used a sleeping bag (Peke Moe), the catnaps stopped too! She is currently a great sleeper but it will all change again as they get older, so don't stress about it!

26/11/2009
alora

my daughter used to catnap like that from newborn age. used to drive me crazy because i couldnt sleep during the day while she slept unless someone took over and looked after her for me. i was never worried about it because otherwise she was happy and healthy. she started having longer (1.5-2hour) sleep when she got to about 4 or so months old and then from 8 months - 2 years old she was sleeping 7pm - at least 10am everyday without waking in the night. Ppl always told me she had weird sleep habits but then so did i when i was little so whatever!

26/11/2009
annee78

hey. i woudnt worry at all !! my daughters 5 mnths now and went thru a phase just like yours, and i got all worried she wasnt sleepn enough and tryed everythin to get her to keep sleeping and none of it worked!!  i ended up just letting her get up after a half hour nap shes now changed things herself and has 2 one hour or one and a half hour naps a day plus a 2 hour nap....not always.   but shes constantly changin her sleep paterns wich works fine for me she doesnt seem to need structured sleep tym so we just go with the flow and i put her down wen she starts to look tired. hope this helps.  and you would be quite supried how small a sleep it takes for them to recharge..

26/11/2009
Kate's Family

Hey my baby has 45 minute naps during the day too, Im not really worried about it because she sleeps so well at night.  Sometimes she will have 2 45 mins in the morning and then a big 2 hour one and then another 45 min one but sometimes its just 4 45 minute ones.  My plunket nurse isn't worried about it.  45 mins is a sleep cycle - try not to worry about it he might change back to old patterns - BTW my baby is nearly 3 months so they are quite close in age

26/11/2009
caseys mum
An error occured, please try again later.